Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cowboy Up & blog

Wow, has it seriously been over a week since I've posted??
What happened to all those things I said I needed to post?
Oh yeah, I'm too lazy to do it. :)

Well, since we have yet ANOTHER snow day today
AND I cleaned my whole house last week
(not saying you can even tell NOW)
I find myself with time on my hands so that means blogging and crafting.

I have a very intersante post for you today
(my husband loves it when I say that word, I'm sure he's imagining me as an exotic dark haired & voluptuous Spanish woman with a beautiful accent... Totally kidding of course. I know the truth. He's laughing at me cause I'm a huge geek-wod. Who says geek-wod?? I do, I guess. :-/ Wow!! Tangent, much?? Being snowed in does things to ya people...)

OK! Back on track!!
Sooooo....my baby boy is a year old, yes we've established that.
And have any of you SEEN his nursery?? Of course not.
Cause according to me it has been "unfinished" this entire year. I did most of it after his birth but it's been "done" (aka. as done as its going to get) for most of this past year.
Would you like like to see it?

I went with a cowboy theme. I mean, the kid's name is "Jettison Charles".
Doesn't that just SOUND like a rugged cowboy?? Just go with it.

Here are the befores:
When we moved in there were these horrendous shelves in his room (that totally called attention to the fact that the window is not centered on the wall, I might add). Please also note the mini blinds - I LOVE me some dirty old plastic mini blinds!!
I wanted them torn out immediately.
My husband tried to convince me otherwise but I stuck to my guns (did you like how I did that? Guns, get it?). The room is SUPER small as it is, and those dang shelves took up half of it!
All I needed to fit in there was a crib, a dresser & a rocking chair and I wouldn't be able to do even that. So I hired my trusty ol' dad to tear them out for me. He noted many (many) times what crap they were as he was tearing them out.
I've mentioned this before, but I am terrible at taking before shots. I usually start painting something before I remember. Which is exactly what I did here. But I really just wanted you to see the color of the dresser when I bought it from Goodwill. Pretty, huh? (puke.)
Ok, I've tortured you enough.
Here are the afters:
(I will preface this by saying his room is very simple. I don't put things on walls just to have things on walls. If I think of something or get something cute I'll hang it. But I prefer blank or simple over decorating with things that don't go or things I don't like.
Oh and, as always, I pretty much had no budget. ;) )
I painted the room a golden yellow that reminded me of straw or hay.
Here's the dresser. Refurbed.
I painted it kind of an off-white and then antiqued and distressed it.
The knobs are from (where else?) Hobby Lobby.
And of course, 50% off.
(I also painted it this color so it would be versatile for future babies. If I have more boys, sorry dudes, you're stuck with a cowboy room. If I have a girl someday, change these knobs out for some pretty girly ones and walla!)
Daddy's cowboy boots when he was a boy...
For the lasso, I just went to the trusty ol' hardware store,
bought some rope, tied a couple of knots, and started nailing it onto the wall in loops.

My mom gave me this star she had lying around.
It was perfect the way it was.
And we got the rocking chair when we were pregnant with Jaymin.
The little blue table was also given to me by my mom
(I think it used to be a plant stand)
and I painted it navy for Jaymin's old room.
This pillow is probably the easiest one I've ever made.
I bought a red cotton bandana,
& sewed brown cording to it.
I love what it adds to the room.
The month before Jett was born we had Thanksgiving in Arkansas and there was an AWESOME cowboy (dare I say?) "boutique" there. They had a leather lampshade with leather cording along the bottom. I already had a brown iron lamp base so I got one of those sticky lampshades (like the one I used in my basement) from Hobby Lobby and stuck this printed tissue paper on it (after crinkling it up a bit an smoothing it out). Then I punched holes in the bottom with a regular hole punch. Then looped some leather straps through.

These curtains were also from Jaymin's old room.
Cute overall tops, huh?
And of course, his "bear rug".
That cowboy shop also had BEAUTIFUL cow hide rugs and throws.
I wanted one. Badly.
But they were hundreds of dollars. Sorry, not for my baby's nursery.

My mom gave me an old pink crib bumper
that I covered with this faux cow print.
It actually looks and feels pretty real!
A close up of the shelf.
This too was from Jaymin's old room.
My mom and stepdad gave it to me for a shower gift when I was pregnant with him.
It goes perfectly.
Part of the reason I have waited so long to post Jett's room is because I started this mini quilt for him. The only thing I have left to do is the binding but just canNOT muster up the desire to do it. I messed up one of the sides and that made me mad so that may have something to do with it...There may be other reasons for posting this now but I'll let your mind wander.
Jaymin's room if you remember, is a surfer theme.
Does anyone else find it strange that I somehow
manifested my 2 dream men into my children's bedrooms?...
;)

3 comments:

amy said...

wow! you are beyond talented! what a precious room! i love all of the details. good job.

Allyson said...

this post had me lol'ing all the way. truly. get that dang quilt out and finish it!!! its SO freaking awesome! (i mean, after you finish the gift set i ordered =)).

SaraBethJ said...

I LOVE this room! I used to work at a guest ranch and love all things cowboy! That quilt is awesome! You definitely need to finish it! I love your style. I think if we lived closer, we'd be good friends! : )